Business casts a shadow over the opening of the Red Sox House on Friday

The Boston Red Sox are at the front line with the number 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson before the home game against the Minnesota Twins on Friday.

The Boston Red Sox are number one on the front line, wearing the number 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson ahead of Friday’s home game against the Minnesota Twins.

BOSTON – The only clouds in Fenway Park this glorious afternoon were the immediate future of the two Red Sox Cornerstones.

The contract drama about Xander Bogaerts and Rafael Dgers officially returned on Friday. Boston has not found long-term commitments on the left side of its home field.

Bogaerts could withdraw from his six-year contract at the end of the season. Derse will be a free agent at the end of the 2023 campaign. Various reports last week described the Red Sox, their two young stars, as far from reaching an agreement.

“We want these guys to be part of the Red Sox forever,” Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy told NESN in a pre-match interview. “We will start those talks when we move forward with a schedule acceptable to the players.”

More: The Red Sox must continue to build momentum from the 2021 season

Boston Red Sox baseball team chief executive Sam Kennedy listens during a press conference at Fenway Park on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 in Boston.

Boston Red Sox baseball team chief executive Sam Kennedy listens during a press conference at Fenway Park on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 in Boston.

Of course, what is not said is that Boston is satisfied only with paying a certain price. It is a completely organizational decision. The Red Sox have virtually unlimited financial resources and can make commitments to any player they choose.

Which makes some of the New York Post և Boston Globe reports quite disturbing. Bogaerts has three years left և 60 million dollars from the deal he had acquired before the 2019 season. Boston offered to add $ 30 million a year, which would take it until the 2026 season. Bogaertz did not confirm or deny what happened before Friday’s game, but his response և Public statements by his agent Scott Boras suggest that the de facto Red Sox captain is disappointed.

“Yes, I saw it,” said Bogaerts. “You need to talk to my agent about it. I do not want to get into it. “

More: Grandpa, a former Red Sox slaughterer, has been elected to the Hall of Fame. He was on 77.9% of the ballots.

Third baseman Rafael Dgers, left, and Xander Bogaerts have both received contract offers from the Red Sox, but both are reportedly well below market value.

Third baseman Rafael Dgers, left, and Xander Bogaerts have both received contract offers from the Red Sox, but both are reportedly well below market value.

Bogaerts last time offered a discount to the Red Sox, և Boras seemed to have swallowed a drop or two of vinegar during an official press conference at the RingCentral Coliseum. The market has exploded in the last three years, with players such as Fernando Tatis Jr., Francisco Lindor and Corey Sieger all signing contracts worth more than $ 300 million. Twins shortstop Carlos Correa opted for a shorter term, leaving the Astros for three years at $ 105.3 million.

“He will change organizations,” Red Sox manager Alex Koran said of Puerto Rican compatriot Korea. “She has that aura. He has that atmosphere. I’m so proud of him, I always will be. “I am glad that he received his contract.”

If Cora talked about Bogaerts. And he could say the same about Jersey, who, according to ESPN, received a $ 200 million offer. This is a shame from the neighborhood occupied by Manny Machado, Anthony Randon և Nolan Arenado. All three players agreed on deals that pay at least $ 30 million a year. The jerseys should match that of the 25-year-old October hero with one of the strongest young bats in the game.

More: From the Rays’s Elimination to the Yankees’ Promotion to the playoffs, here are the Red Sox’s best stories for 2021

“The door is open,” said Red Sox President Tom Werner. “We made a deal with Dustin Pedroya during the season. It does not mean that we will be successful, but we will keep trying. “We want Xander and Raffi to be with us.”

The feelings of Kennedy և Werner as baseball chief’s Chame Bloom all seem familiar. Boston has been saying roughly the same thing: until the 2019 Mookie Betts deal, the return of Alex Verdugo, the struggling Jeter Downs, and the projected back-up Conor Wong does not inspire much confidence. The Dodgers immediately broke the 32-year World Series Drought in 2020, while the Red Sox opened this season with Jackie Bradley Jr. և Christian Aroyo on the right field.

If Boston is so concerned about potential defensive drops from Bogaerts և Ders, how do you explain his choice for other positions? Arroyo has never been on the pitch before; he looked out of place in Tuesday’s game in Detroit. Dalbek is the third converted midfielder, who is only average at first, and Kyle Schwarber, who was the main achievement of last year at the trade deadline, has never been on the field.

The answer lies in investment. It seems that the Red Sox are fully prepared to admit deeper flaws if your number of competing balance sheets or how you perceive them in their organizational depth chart is not so great. It seems that Boston is less likely to live with even minors if the costs are considered too high.

This sun-drenched day, which brought with it the best days of New England spring, had something in the background. The ghost of big business could not completely spoil the occasion, but it is now officially in the building.

bkoch@providencejournal.com:

On Twitter: @ BillKoch25

This article originally appeared in The Providence Journal. The Boston Red Sox play with the Minnesota Twins as they open a home in Fenway Park.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.